Imperial Knights collection


Imperial Knights:

House Scythe of Deaths Welcome Knight Banner: Kneel til Doomsday

The destruction of Death's Welcome's Knight Houses in battle has long been foretold and has greatly impacted the Households' society. Each House is composed of morbid nihilists who worship the Emperor as the harbinger of war and ending, and go to war in Knight suits of sable and bone while singing fervent dirges.

This came about when my mum actually unprompted bought me a Cerastus Atrapos and asked if I could paint it, similar to House Mallinax, challenge accepted. I wanted a loyalist house. Set in 30k, I chose Death's Welcome as they fit the theme, and with so little known I could work in freedom with all that wiggle room. I wanted them to be an weird, obscure, almost forgotten house even back in 30k. Borrowed any decals I could find from Mortis and Death Guard to try and help sell the morbid tone of these. Many of their names inspired by My Dying Bride songs to bring more gloom to the picture. I wanted to do all I could to sell the Misery here. By the time of the age of 40k the planet is all but wiped out by Nids, but in setting this way back it gives me a lot more Knights to work with. I loved how they were deeply tied to the Emperor, not because they believe in the Imperium or what it stands for, they just see him as a vassal of the glorious death that they seek. 

CERASTUS BANNER: Dying Of The Light
(12) Cerastus Knight Lancer - Harbinger Of Doom
Forge World Cerastus Knight Lancer - Harbinger Of Doom. Was the second Cerastus Knight i worked on, really enjoyed the build and pose ability of these tall Resin kits! Now due out in plastic as I write this in Summer 2023. I hope the new kits will be as posable. The shield was swapped out for a more morbid resin one from Taro Model Maker, who doesnt love massive skulls?? The resin bases are from Unreal Wargaming Studios. These are big heavy Knights and i'd heard that they could warp the plastic Knight bases from GW, sending them banana shaped with so much weight on them. I didn't want to take the risk, or have the lanky boys easily knocked over so the resin bases was worth every penny to keep them well planted. 
I saw these 4 Cerastus Knights as the 4 horsemen of the Apocalypse, representing Death, Famine, War, and Conquest. The planet they hail from also bleak, and crumbling. No green fields here the bases well add to that theme of ruin.



(13) Cerastus Castigator- Grief Of Morning
Cerastus Knight Castigator- Grief Of Morning. Another big Forge World knight. Standing on the wreckage of another dead Cerastus borrowed from the Primarch Perturabo model, also from Forge World.
I thought I'd add a little rust to this one, selling the theme that they were already old and decrepit even in the times before the Heresy, I got carried away and "a bit of rust" turned into looking like it had been living at the bottom of the sea for 200 years but I'm happy with how it looks. Lots of tones in the ancient metal.
An old Knight suit scanning the battle sector. I wanted the dead Knight suit on the floor to look like it had been there a long time too Also rusty. Maybe it salvaged of all the useful parts long ago. 

CERSASTUS BANNER: Sorrows Hand
(14) Cerastus Acheron - Feel The Misery
Another Forge world Cerastus Knight, an Acheron this time - Feel The Misery.
Very detailed resin base from Unreal Wargaming Studios. This is the least flashiest of my Knight paint schemes and to me the most morbid out of them all, just a simple elegant 50/50 Sable and Bone scheme on the Carapace. It ended up being a favourite of mine.



(11) Cerastus Atrapos - Tomb Of Despair
Cerastus Knight Atrapos from Forge World, Tomb Of Despair was the Knight that started Death's Welcomes House Scythe. My mum bought it as a surprise, she just liked the model and the colour the studio had painted it. So for her I tried to do as much as i could to replicate what she liked about House Mallinax yet move away from them and do our own LOYALIST thing with this theme. I think it works well, on its own it looks a little too Mallinax but when it's with the rest of House Scythe, it fits right in. I couldn't see any access in or out of the mechanicum Knights, it looks like the Scions that pilot the suits look perminantly sealed in and bonded to the mech, like a dreadnought. This helped name Tomb Of Despair.
Would love another one day! Was 50 / 50 which way to go with the pose. So would love to try the other 50!!
The very very detailed base once again from Unreal Wargaming Studio.
I kept the very base skeleton of this Knight dark its metal is almost black. I wanted them to have this level of darkness that you'd normally only see on traitor dark mech Knight houses.




QUESTORIS BANNER: Morbid Visions
(15) Questoris Styrix - Death Triumphant.
This Questoris Styrix is made up from a Games Workshop plastic Knight, with official Forgeworld armour kit I'd purchased from a friend and mixed together with Taro Model Maker parts. Doing it this way made it more expensive than just buying the kit direct from FW but it's different and fits the rarity of the world they are from. Cobbled together Knights, under maintained and not well resupplied by the Imperium. 

(16) Questoris Paladin - Unrelenting Bitterness
Another GW/FW parts kit, with the skull head supplied by Taro Model Maker.


(17) Moirax - Forever Failure
Forgeworld Moirax, the skull heads sold this kit for this house!


(18) Moirax - Death Of Hope
Forgeworld Moirax again the skull head is perfect for House Scythe of Deaths Welcome
Big shout out to Unreal Wargaming Studios for these bases, for what they cost i was blown away by the level of detail and high quality.
Some old build pics!
Cobbled together Knight!
Early paint, testing the theme!

Legio Victorum Vassal Knight Banner. Honour To The Dead
(20) Questoris Gallant  - Scourge Of Iron
Knight Gallant- Scourge Of Iron, named after one of my favourite Cannibal Corpse songs!! Always thought it would make a great name for a Knight or Titan!! Scourge is my 20th Knight, which I know sounds insane! I didn't think I'd ever be lucky enough to own one Knight!
I'd already got Legio Victorum going in full swing and my plan for this Vassal Knight Banner is one that's perminantly attached to Triplex Phall and would support the legio and the Mechanicus based there.
I wanted to pull the colours back to the Legio, away from what I'd been doing with Terryn, and avoiding the reds!
This was the first time I planned on having a uniform look of identical Knights!


(21) Questoris Gallant - Death or Glory
Knight Gallant- Death Or Glory, was my 21st Knight, I really wanted to start pushing the poses more. This Knight wants to close in and put the smack down on anything that gets close to the Titans it guards. Really wanted to try that pointing pose!
Really love this colour scheme on Knights!
Very vibrant colours, pushing the contrasts more to match the Titans. The helmet/face plate showing battle damage. Intimidating, Death or Glory, chooses Glory for himself and death for his opponents.


(19) Questoris Preceptor - Vigilance Unbound
Knight Preceptor- Vigilance Unbound, is my 19th Knight, responsible for keeping a watchful eye on the Armiger classes, training combat doctrines. 
Love how the Las Impulsor came out! 



(22) Helverin - Undaunted Sentinel

(23) Helverin - Spearhead of Judgement


House Terryn Banner: Scarlet Wrath I
(24) Questoris Preceptor - Hammer Of Damnation
Knight Preceptor- Hammer Of Damnation was my 24th Imperial Knight. Based loosely off some House Terryn Heresy era art I'd seen. Although different Knight type, I liked the idea of it. Especially the red shield!


(25) Questoris Crusader - Storm of Wrath
Knight Crusader Storm of Wrath was my 25th Imperial Knight, it came about when a friend intercepted a few Knights heading to landfill, he offered them to me for an offer I couldnt refuse!! They were broken and missing parts, but when you've done so many Knights you amass a ton of spare parts! I had what was needed!
Went for a full Heresy era Terryn Knight scheme based on art I'd seen.
All the cheques, well it makes a change from all the Chevrons!
Knight Scion on foot, helmet under arm, doing that Top Gun walk haha, my hands and eyes aren't great with these little tiny models, didn't expect it to come out all that well at all, however after photographing it I got to see the details I'd fluked on the face! There I said it! Fluked!!
Scion with his Knight suit.

(26) Questoris Errant - Wrath Incarnate
Knight Errant - Wrath incarnate was my 26th Imperial Knight  again based on the 30k era, House Terryn art.




(27) Helverin - Death's Scorn
(28) Helverin - Fiend's End

House Terryn Banner: Crimson Fury II
(6) Questoris Crusader - Crimson Fury
Knight Crusader - Crimson Fury, was the 6th Knight that I built and painted, I wanted this one to be very different to my others, in my mind it would take a commanding role, a Warlord if you will. So i tried to represent that in its colour scheme. 
At this point I was almost 6 weeks into my recovery from the first spinal surgery and id been painting for the majority of my R&R and I wasn't planning on letting up anytime soon. I had more Knights in the pile of opportunity!! I had a production line behind this one.
Crimson Fury was named after the Knight Lance that he's chosen to lead. The name came before the paint on this one.


(5) Questoris Gallant - Oath of Doom
Knight Galant- Oath Of Doom was my 5th Imperial Knight that I'd built and painted. At this point i had the name Crimson Fury for this particular Knight Lance. With that incorporated a lot of red in the theme! 
I really liked the look of this particular Knight despite being one drawn more to the massive ranged weapons these guys can take. It looked fearsome to me. 


(4) Questoris Warden - Pride Of Fury
Knight Warden was the 4th Knight I painted, I already had it in my head that i didn't want two of these Knights the same and would try and make each suit of armour its own character! Again a 2nd hand Knight, it came prebuilt (although needing repair) it was an Errant, but I wanted to swap out the Thermal cannon for an Avenger Gatling cannon, the Warden was an early favourite!
I'd still not planned an "army" as such, but well into this paint up, I had an early goal of one of each of the Knight chassis types!! Who needs magnets if you just buy them all? I was happy with the way it turned out and it set up the next two Questoris nicely, I had so many ideas for schemes to differ from what I already had! I was laid up for the whole summer recovering from spinal surgery so just keeping focused, keeping on painting really helped occupy my mind and help stop dwelling on the amount of pain I was in. 



(9)Armiger Warglaive - Coward's Vanquish

(10) Armiger Warglaive - Infidel's Woe


House Terryn Banner: Vermillion III
(1) Questoris Paladin - Oath Of Conquest
Knight Paladin - Oath of Conquest was actually the very first Imperial Knight that I built and painted. I picked it up second hand for a reasonable price, it gave me something to do whilst recovering from my first spinal surgery. I had no idea how utterly addicted Knights would become to me!

I never intended to have an "army" of Knights, so it didn't occur to me to follow any particular rules. The kit came with Terryn decals so that kind of pushed me that way, and  Crimson Fists collector i me was drawn to blue and red anyways.
I enjoyed the freedom of a big model, my hands could manage it better and it was lighter than the movie based models I'd been doing for a number of years. I had no idea about House Terryn lore, all I knew is I wanted them attached to a Titan Legio. Quite imaginary at the time, I went with Yellow Helmets and flashes to represent Legio Astorum, at this point Titans was very much out of reach for me. I never thought I'd be lucky enough!
I had borrowed a codex and this was my take on a Baron- kingsward. This lance in question had become attached to a Titan Legio and deliberately left off some of the Terryn icons and operated more like free blades. Always deployed and never returning to Voltoris. Always walking in service of the Emperor, seeking out conflict across the galaxy instead of returning for ceremonial duty. 



(2) Questoris Warden - Glorys Hand
Knight Warden- Glorys Hand, was actually my second Imperial Knight, after completing the Paladin I needed more!!
A bit of a nod to my Crimson Fists, I also tried my hand at haz stripes/chevrons for the very first time!!! Inspired by the art in the codex.
Glorys Hand walked! I was enjoying the freedom of the armour panels to do what ever I pleased! Still didn't have a lot of lore in mind, no goals, just painting for the love of it!



(3) Questoris Errant - Blaze Of Redemption
Knight Errant - Blaze Of Redemption. The 3rd Knight I painted. Named after carrying that thermal cannon into battle, along with its Reaper Chainsword it was a formidable close quarters knight suit. It would reduce the enemy's of the Imperium to molten slag in a heartbeat or cleave them open. Redemption will come eitherway!
Getting a bit cocky with my new found love of haz stripes, after avoiding them like the plague for years!
Tried to heat stain the thermal cannon along with soot, effects from weathering powders.
I didn't know what to do with the shield on this Knight, I had the idea of freehanding my own family heraldry on it, I think the crest came out okay, I'm not the best at freehanding but I wanted to use these bigger "Miniatures" to try new things on!



House Terryn Dominus Banner
(7) Knight Castellan - Honour Incarnate
Dominus Knight Castellan - Honour Incarnate was my 7th Knight, and my first dominus class, some love it, some love to hate it, it broke the meta in 8th edition when it got released. It really was the closest thing you could get to owning a plastic Titan! Everything it looked at in battle died spectacularly. If you found like you had too many friends, taking one of these helped thin that problem! 
When GW announced the dominus as "our biggest Knight ever" (I think they meant plastic knights) I was so underwhelmed. So resin waist extender, along with resin shields, and knee extentions from Taro Model Maker, gave these guys the height they deserved, they had more a look of the Forge World Knights.
Really does look like a mini Titan 



(8) Knight Valiant - Defiler's End
Dominus Knight Valliant- Defilers End, again rocking similar but slightly different modifications to my Castellan to give it more height! 
More old Knight pics and WIPS etc

Armies on Parade 2018:
Entering AOP was very last min, I didn't think I'd ever have the guts, I didn't even have a tile to display them on until days before the event. They weren't even finished yet, but I'd been told by surgeons there was risks I'd not be able to paint after my first spinal surgery. So 6 Knights later I was really proud to still be here in the hobby!
The Knights came 4th, just one vote away from sharing 3rd place and getting a bronze! I had no friends in Doncaster to come and vote etc, so it was done on merit and a good attempt. I would have loved to get them finished in time but couldn't give them the time needed with recovering. The weathering powders went on after and really toned down the very strong colours. They were a bit too toy like and 2nd edition for me!!

My first ever Knight!! Little did I know where that would lead!!

Gaming 40k 8th edition. Loosing friends.

Titan Owners Club interview 2020. Knight Banner on display.

Really proud of my Knights.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sokar Pattern Stormbird - Imperial Fists

Thunderhawk Gunship - Imperial Fists

Titan Prototypes and old rarities